Monday, July 14, 2008

Quick Hits - 7/14/08

Now, I know it seems a bit redundant to have the same exact title and theme for two consecutive posts, but consistency clearly isn't something I'm great at, so consider this a small, first step.

Random things I've been thinking lately:

- I've seen a lot of division in the online hip-hop community over Nas' new album and whether it's a masterpiece.

People, let's face it: when was the last time you heard a legitimately good, intelligent, mainstream rap album? It's not an issue of people having a different opinion of this album, it's an issue of people nitpicking and taking a different stance for the sake of being different.

Support this album to support hip-hop -- the community needs something like this to start the discussion about race that the nation at-large NEEDS to have.

Getting off my soapbox now.

(Album in stores tomorrow!)

- We're that much closer to The Dark Knight this weekend. Gives me goosebumps.

- NCAA Football 09 comes out tomorrow, and it certainly looks to be just the thing I need to tide me over until Madden NFL 09.

...oh wait, that's what Metal Gear Solid 4 was for. And Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. And Need For Speed: Carbon. Need I go on?

- I honestly can't picture Brett Favre in a different NFL uniform, let alone playing this upcoming season, period. Although Favre will forever remain one of my favorite players of all time (barring a Lawrence Phillips/Pacman Jones/Michael Vick-like crime wave), I still wish he would just stay in retirement.

How often can a professional athlete say they've had a legendary career and were able to go out on top?

(No, Tiki Barber doesn't count -- he didn't care enough about football, and his career was far from legendary...)

- I'm starting to love what I'm seeing on WWE lately. The storylines have become more complex than the spoon-fed crap of the past few years, and I'm loving the fact that younger talent like Cryme Tyme, Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase Jr., and CM Punk are getting a push into the second tier (and main event, in Punk's case).

Though I admittedly haven't been following SmackDown/ECW as much as RAW, I like the idea of Triple H facing off against Edge, and both Matt & Jeff Hardy are receiving the pushes that they deserve.

All is good in professional wrestling. Except TNA.

No comments:

Post a Comment