Saturday, April 19, 2008

ALBUM REVIEW - Ray J - All I Feel (2008)



"Sexy, can I? Just pardon my manners // Girl, how you shake it got a n*gga like (OOH!) // It's a Kodak moment, lemme go and get my camera // All I wanna know is (SEX-Y, CAN I?) // Sexy, can I hit it from the front? // Then I'll hit it from the back -- know you like it like that // Then we take it to the bed, then we take it to the flo' // Then we chill for a second, then we back it at some mo' (SEX-Y, CAN I?) // Sexy, can I? Just pardon my manners // Girl, how you shake it got a n*gga like (OOH!) // It's a Kodak moment, lemme go and get my camera // All I wanna know is..."

The chorus from ALL I FEEL's lead single, "Sexy Can I," is telling of the content on Ray J's fourth studio album. The majority of the album is simply sexual bravado mixed with smooth thuggery and the occasional touching moment (emotionally, that is; there's plenty of the physical kind, though, don't worry). However, despite the shallow lyrical content, ALL I FEEL is a solid pop/R&B album, overall.

The production isn't exactly top-notch, but still sonically-pleasing compared to other pop/R&B endeavors (Chris Brown, anyone?). In addition, though Ray J seems to be stuck on the same notes at times, he still showcases his range on occasion. If anything, however, this album feels almost as if it's meant to ride on the coattails of the Kim Kardashian sextape co-starring (who else?) Ray J himself. After all, the original video for "Sexy Can I," as well as the Kodak reference, almost seems as if he's poking fun at the "embarassment" that the tape caused Ms. Kardashian and her family (who managed to get a reality show shortly after the tape was released...y'know, coincidentally).

Regardless, the album isn't exactly late-night fare befitting the sextape, but still has its moments. After all, Brandy's little brother is still charismatic in his own right, even if he'll probably be known more for his older sister and his on-camera sexcapades (not a combination of the two, of course) than his singing ability.

Then again, "Sexy Can I" was a successful single on the Billboard charts, and he's been fortunate enough to have had at least one hit single on each album thus far. Perhaps the public is ready to care how Ray J feels after all. And NOT just how he feels in his pants, neither; ask Ms. Kardashian.

Recommended tracks:
"Sexy Can I" (ft. Yung Berg)
"Jump Off"
"All I Feel"
"It's Up to You"

No comments:

Post a Comment